Monday, September 27, 2010

Stumptown Coffee and the Ace Hotel

It's like the mothership calling me home. Coffee? Check. Lounge? Check. Free Wifi? Check. Artistic design? Check. Live music? Check. Witty signage? Double check.

Stumptown Coffee

I first fell in love with Stumptown Coffee. Saw an article of the coffee in Real Simple magazine - which made no mention of an NYC location - just the really cool recycle-able glass container they sell their Espresso blend($30) and the Panama Esmeralda Especial ($75) Coffees.

I was driving west on 29th, heading back to Jersey, when I looked over, saw the Stumptown sign. My mouth dropped and I immediately double parked.

The first cup of joe was an Ethiopian blend which I would describe as being clean tasting. Coffee usually leaves this aftertaste and really makes your breath kick. Not Stumptown's flavorful blend. And I thought - wow, I will have to come back, buy one of those really awesome recycle-able containers, and have another cup of coffee.

And so I did. This time, I lingered. I lingered in the little window nook looking out into the city and enjoying free wifi on my friend's laptop, while drinking an iced coffee - house blend. Again...clean. Flavorful. And yes, that was me taking pictures with my Blackberry.

And so, on this Monday morning, I made a cup of Stumptown's Hairbender Espresso Blend - and I was happy - and ready to tackle the work week. Good job Really Simple for making my life really simple. You better believe this is becoming my new go-to place.

Stumptown is Portland, Oregan based. "We travel worldwide because we are committed to sourcing and roasting the best coffees available anywhere. Along the way, we search for partnerships with farms to share in a belief that working together year after year results in the highest level of quality."

"We are always anxious to find people who share the same passion and enthusiasm for coffee as we do." Well - here I am! Passionate and Enthusiastic about Stumptown Coffee.

They even list on their website the contact to display your artwork at one of their locations. Supporting farmers and artists? This place gets two gold stars.

Stumptown Brewing Guide

Ace Hotel

My second love affair happened when I ventured into the lounge through the back of Stumptown and doubles as the lobby of the Ace Hotel. I will definitely find myself venturing and lingering again - this time with my own laptop, or a pen and paper, for some well deserved creating and writing.

The Breslin Putting it on the list of restaurants I want to try.

1 comment:

Brucie Cheese said...

I think we both know now that Jack's is, without even trying, better ! And that other place you found ? The one that was closed when we got there ? I can't remember the name...and wait ! Did my laptop make your blog ? Woah...lol.